Luckily we have you covered with this Spelt Flour Healthy Hot Cross Buns, so you can still enjoy the holiday without the guilt. Serve these up for a delicious snack or even for family breakfast on Easter Sunday.
Serves: 12 Makes: 12 Prep: 02:00 Cook: 00:30
7 g dry yeast
250 ml unsweetened almond milk
3 teaspoon(s) maple syrup
2 1/2 tablespoon(s) rice malt syrup
3 cup(s) wholemeal spelt flour
1/2 cup(s) raisins
1/4 cup(s) currants
3 teaspoon(s) cinnamon
2 1/2 teaspoon(s) mixed spice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 tablespoon(s) coconut oil melted
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
1 orange zested & juiced
2 tablespoon(s) wholemeal spelt flour for crosses
2 tablespoon(s) water for crosses
1. Pour the almond milk to a small saucepan and warm over a low heat for 2 minutes.
2. Whisk the yeast, milk and 2 teaspoons of maple syrup in a jug. Set aside for 10 minutes or until frothy.
3. Combine the flour, raisins, currants, spices and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the centre. Add the yeast and milk mixture, together with 1 tablespoon of oil, vanilla, orange zest and 1 1/2 tablespoons orange juice and rice malt syrup. Stir until combined.
4. Transfer to a lightly floured board and knead until smooth and elastic, approximately 5 minutes. Grease a bowl with remaining oil and place dough into the bowl and cover with glad wrap. Set aside for 45 minutes or until doubled in size.
5. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
6. Flour your hands and transfer dough back to the board, gently kneading for a minute. Shape into 12 buns and place onto prepared tray. Cover with glad wrap and set aside in a warm place for a further 40 minutes or until doubled in size.
7. Preheat oven to 160°C.
8. Combine the remaining flour with water to form a smooth paste. Place into a zip lock bag and cut 1 corner from the bag to make a piping bag and pipe crosses onto the buns.
9. Lightly brush with the additional maple syrup and bake for 30 minutes or until cooked through.
Enjoy these Healthy Hot Cross Buns fresh from the oven or toasted in a sandwich press.