A Chicken Carbonara recipe that won’t leave you feeling sick afterwards, it’s gluten free and filled with vegetables.
- 2 large (200g each) zucchini
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 50 g Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 150 g bacon rashers, rind removed and cut into batons
- 2 teaspoon butter
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 100 g button mushrooms, finely sliced
- 85 ml full-fat cream
- 2 portions of Roast Chicken, defrosted or 1/4 store-bought roast chicken, chicken shredded off the bone
- sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 30 g Parmesan cheese, flaked, to serve
- Cut zucchinis into noodles with a knife, a spiral machine or by grating the zucchini lengthways on a box grater. Blanch noodles and peas for 1 minute in boiling water and drain.
- Combine egg yolks and Parmesan in a small bowl.
- Heat a medium frying pan over medium to high heat. Add bacon and cook for 4-5 minutes or until golden. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate to drain.
- Melt butter in same pan. Add garlic and mushrooms and cook for 2-3 minutes or until mushrooms are tender. Add cream and bring to a boil. Add zucchini noodles, peas, bacon and chicken to pan. Toss to combine. Remove from heat.
- Immediately add egg and Parmesan mixture. Stir through until everything is coated well.
- Season generously with sea salt and black pepper. Divide between a plate and a lunchbox. Serve with flaked parmesan.
Dairy-free option: Use olive oil instead of butter. Replace Parmesan with nutritional yeast flakes. Replace cream with 1/4 cup of chicken stock. Want to know how to use up your leftover egg whites? Here’s some ideas:* In our Gluten-Free Buckwheat Loaf.* In our Chocolate Tipped Macaroons, for when you finish the 8-Week Program (you can freeze the egg whites until then).* In a hair mask. Beat egg whites with a teaspoon of olive oil and apply to the roots of your hair. Leave on for 20 minutes and then rinse off with warm water for a nourishing hair mask.* Cook in the fry pan and add to your meals during the week.