Healthy Meat Lover’s Pizza
Love pizza but trying to keep it healthy? Health-ifying junk food recipes has to be one of the easiest ways to convince your family that healthy food can taste great!
- 1 cup spelt flour
- pinch sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano fresh or dried
- pinch sea salt
- 1 pinch freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon rice malt syrup
- 2 slices salami
- 1 slice ham off the bone
- 1 pork sausage Small
- 1/2 cup swiss brown mushrooms sliced
- 1 cup kale thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese grated
- 1 cup basil leaves
- Preheat oven to 180ºC/350ºF/Gas Mark 4.
- Combine the flour, salt and baking powder in a mixing bowl.
- Make a well in the centre of the flour and pour in the olive oil.
- Using a spoon, start to mix the flour and olive oil, with a little bit of the water.
- Continue to add the water in batches until you form a dough.
- You may need more water to help it combine, but best to start off with too little.
- Lightly cover a flat surface with more spelt flour.
- Knead the dough until it’s no longer sticky.
- Do not over work the dough or it will go hard.
- Lightly flour a rolling pin and roll the dough out until about 1/2 cm thick.
- Place on a lightly floured pizza or baking tray.
- Place in the oven for 10 minutes until very lightly brown.
- Meanwhile, place all ingredients for pizza sauce into a blender and process until smooth.
- Add to a small pot and bring to the boil.
- Reduce to a simmer for 10-15 minutes until sauce thickens.
- Smear onto pizza base.
- Add kale and mushrooms on the base of the pizza.
- Cut open the sausage skin and squeeze out the meat.
- Arrange on pizza with ham and salami.
- Sprinkle pizza with cheese.
- Place pizza in the oven for 10-15 minutes until pork sausage it cooked through and cheese has melted.
- Serve with fresh basil.