- 1.5 kg purple cabbage cored and finely shredded with a knife or on a mandolin
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- 1 tablespoon fine sea salt
- Place all ingredients in a sturdy bowl.
- Using your hands, massage and squeeze the cabbage until it starts to release its juices. This can take around 10-15 minutes.
- Scoop mixture into thoroughly cleaned mason jars and push down until juices cover the top of the cabbage. You might like to use a tool to help press the mixture down. We use the stick from our blender! (Note: if your sauerkraut has not produced enough liquid to cover the cabbage, make your own by mixing a pinch of sea salt in some water and pour on top of cabbage.)
- Screw lid on tightly and place on the kitchen bench at room temperature for 2 weeks.
- Every few days, open the kraut over the sink (due to the pressure, some liquid might come ouand push the cabbage down again below the liquid.
- Your kraut will be ready to use in Week 4.
- Store your jar of kraut in the fridge, where it will last several months.
NB: All main course recipes use quantities from the ‘Female Healthy Weight Maintenance’ Stream of the 28 By Sam Wood program. So if you’re a male, feel free to bulk it up.
If you’re looking for sustainable weight loss, why not check out our 28 By Sam Wood Weight Loss Program?