Lentil & Beef Stew
Everybody loves a winter stew that's healthy and good for you. The mix of beef and lentils will make this stew a wonderfully filling winter dinner. You might like to make double quantities so you have leftovers the next day!
- Medium Saucepan
- 1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 brown onion diced
- 1 clove garlic
- 100 g beef steak porterhouse, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 carrot sliced
- 1/2 stalk celery sliced
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes (canned)
- 1 cup beef stock (or bone broth if you have it)
- 1/4 cup McKenzie's Whole Green Lentils rinsed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Start by adding the olive oil and onion to a pot over medium heat and saute for 3 minutes, until the onion starts to go translucent. Then add the garlic, carrot and celery and saute for another 2 minutes, until the onion and garlic is golden.
- Brown off the beef by adding it to the pot and cooking for approximately 5 minutes.
- Add the rinsed lentils, diced tomatoes and beef stock to the saucepan and mix well to combine.
- Leave to simmer for 20-25 minutes until everything has softened and cooked through.
- Remove from the heat, mix through salt and pepper and serve.
You can cook this in a slow cooker and cook on slow overnight if you prefer. If so, you might like to add a little water so it doesn’t dry out.