Everyone loves pizza, especially when it’s a monster pizza that’s actually good for you!
- 3.5 g dry yeast instant 1/2 of a 7g sachet
- 1/2 cup water lukewarm
- 1 teaspoon rice malt syrup
- 1.5 cups wholemeal spelt flour sieved
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pinch salt
Ingredients for pesto
- 1 cup broccoli
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon parmesan cheese grated
- 1 teaspoon almond meal
- 1/2 lemon juiced, to taste
- 1 pinch salt & pepper
Ingredients for topping
- 1 bocconcini baby
- 1 handful black olives
- 1/4 green chilli finely sliced
- 1 handful rocket leaves
- 1 tablespoon basil leaves
- Preheat oven 260ºC fan forced.
- Mix together yeast, warm water, rice malt syrup, olive oil and 2 tablespoons of flour. Set aside and allow to activate at room temperature for 10-12 minutes.
- Once yeast mixture is bubbly and frothy, stir through remaining flour and salt.
- Knead by hand until dough is strung together or beat in an electric mixer with dough hook until soft and tacky to touch.
- Place dough in a large, oiled bowl, cover with a clean tea towel and allow to rise in volume by 1/3 (45 – 60 minutes).
- Remove from bowl, place on a floured bench top and fold dough to deflate. Divide in 2 and shape into tight balls.
- Cover dough again on a floured surface and allow to rise for 30-40 minutes.
- Meanwhile make your pesto in a blender, adding all ingredients and if required, 2 tablespoons of water to bring it together.
- Roll each ball out to fit your pizza stone or oven tray.
- Top each base with a spread of pesto and bocconcini. Cook for 6 minutes.
- Serve with olives, chilli, fresh rocket leaves and fresh basil or herbs of your choice.
If you are just serving one, freeze your second dough ball for later use, and use remaining pesto for a dip with celery and/or carrot sticks.