Red Lentil Minestrone & Toasted Sourdough
This is one tasty vegan soup that is perfect for winter.
- 1/3 cup McKenzie's Red Split Lentils rinsed
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 brown onion diced
- 1/2 carrot sliced
- 1 cup cauliflower chopped into small florets
- 3/4 cup potato(es) cut into small cubes
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes (canned)
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup kale
- 1 slice sourdough bread or gluten free bread
- Start by adding the split red lentils and water to a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Bring to a boil then lower the heat and simmer for 6 minutes, until lentils are cooked.
- In the meantime, add the olive oil and onion into a medium saucepan over medium heat and saute for 2-3 minutes until golden.
- Add the carrot, cauliflower, potato, diced tomatoes and vegetable stock. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil and leave to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the cooked lentils and kale, and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and pour into a bowl.
- Serve with fresh or toasted sourdough.