Salted Caramel Macadamia Crunch Cake
We’ve created this over-the-top, showstopper cake filled with a creamy butter icing and topped with crunchy macadamias for very special occasions. Each serve contains just over 1 teaspoon of added sweetener per serve, but we’ve kept it low-fructose and gluten-free!
- 1/2 cup I Quit Sugar Organic Rice Malt Syrup.
- 100 g butter.
- 3 eggs.
- 2 teaspoons vanilla powder.
- 2 teaspoons maca powder.
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt.
- 1 cup almond meal.
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour.
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour.
- 2 teaspoons baking powder.
- 60 ml milk.
- 200 g cream cheese.
- 100 g butter.
- 2 teaspoons I Quit Sugar Organic Rice Malt Syrup.
- 1 teaspoon vanilla powder.
- Macadamia Crunch
- 100 g macadamias roughly chopped.
- 1 pinch sea salt.
- 1 teaspoon I Quit Sugar Organic Rice Malt Syrup.
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil melted.
- Preheat oven to 180ºC/350ºF/Gas Mark 4. Grease and line a 18cm round spring-form cake tin with non-stick baking paper and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Beat rice malt syrup and butter together in the large bowl with an electric mixer until creamed together. Add in each egg one at a time and beat until incorporated. Beat in milk.
- Sift almond meal, buckwheat flour, brown rice flour, baking powder, vanilla and maca powder into a large mixing bowl. Fold together using a large wooden spoon until just smooth.
- Spoon mixture into prepared tin and smooth over the surface. Place into the oven and bake for 45-50 minutes, until a skewer comes out clean when inserted in the centre. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely. Carefully, slice cake in half horizontally.
- When the cake is cooking, make the frosting by whipping cream cheese, butter, rice malt syrup and vanilla together in a mixing bowl until fluffy.
- To make the Crunchy Macadamias, combine macadamias, rice malt syrup, coconut oil and a pinch of salt in a mixing bowl. Mix to combine. Spread macadamia mixture over prepared baking tray. Place in the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes until crispy. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before removing from the tray (you must wait until the macadamias have fully cooled here to allow the coconut oil to harden).
- Place one half of the cake on a serving tray. Spread over half of the frosting, top with the other half of the cake and spread with the remaining frosting. Sprinkle of macadamia. Cut into small slithers and serve!
Calories: 565kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 47g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 6g