Spicy Korean Style Chicken
- 1 teaspoon(s) olive oil
- 500 gram(s) chicken maryland or thighs
- 1 onion (brown) roughly diced
- 2 clove(s) garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon(s) ginger minced
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) white pepper
- 1 teaspoon(s) paprika
- 2 chilli (small red) finely chopped
- 2 carrot(s) peeled, 4cm dice
- 2 tablespoon(s) apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoon(s) oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon(s) tomato paste
- 2 cup(s) cabbage (white) roughly chopped
- 600mls vegetable stock or chicken
- salt & pepper to taste
Ingredients for serving
- 1.5 cup(s) rice (brown) cooked
- 4 spring onion(s)
- 1 chilli (small red)
- 1 tablespoon(s) sesame seeds toasted
- Preheat oven 160ºC fan forced.
- Heat oil in large oven proof cast iron or casserole dish to high heat. Add chicken and brown off on all sides. Set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium and add onion, garlic, ginger, white pepper, paprika, red chilli, a pinch of salt and carrots to the same pan as chicken. Stir until starting to soften.
- Stir through apple cider vinegar, oyster sauce and tomato paste. Cook through for 3-4 minutes.
- Add cabbage, browned chicken and stock and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat, cover with a lid or 1 layer of baking paper followed by foil.
- Cook for 1 hour.
- Serve chicken with brown rice, spring onion, extra chilli and toasted sesame seeds.
- NOTE: Alternatively brown chicken in a frying pan, then place in slow cooker with remaining ingredients and an extra 1 cup of water on low for 4 hours.