- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 500 g chicken maryland or thighs
- 1 brown onion roughly diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger minced
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 red chillis finely chopped
- 2 carrots diced
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 2 cups green cabbage roughly chopped
- 600 ml vegetable stock or chicken stock/broth
- salt & pepper to taste
Ingredients for Serving
- 2 cups brown rice
- 4 sprigs spring onion sliced
- 1 red chilli finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds toasted
- Preheat the oven to 160ºC fan forced.
- Heat oil in large oven proof cast iron or casserole dish to high heat.
- Add the chicken and brown off on all sides. Set aside.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the onion, garlic, ginger, white pepper, paprika, red chilli, a pinch of salt and carrots to the same pan that the chicken was in. Stir until starting to soften.
- Off the apple cider vinegar, oyster sauce and tomato paste, stirring it through.
- Allow to cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the cabbage, browned chicken and stock. Bring to a boil.
- Remove from the heat, cover with a lid or a layer of baking paper followed by foil.
- Cook in the oven for 1 hour.
- In the meantime, cook the rice.
- Serve chicken with brown rice, spring onion, extra chilli and toasted sesame seeds.
NB: All main course recipes use quantities from the ‘Female Healthy Weight Maintenance’ Stream of the 28 By Sam Wood program. So if you’re a male, feel free to bulk it up.
If you’re looking for sustainable weight loss, why not check out our 28 By Sam Wood Weight Loss Program?