Spicy Korean Style Chicken
Try this healthy chicken winter dish with a yummy Korean influence and just a touch of spice. Start it off on the stove & finish in the oven, or you can use your slow cooker for extra melt in your mouth chicken flavours!
- Ovenproof Casserole Dish
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 500 g chicken maryland or thighs
- 1 brown onion roughly diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger minced
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 red chillis finely chopped
- 2 carrots diced
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 2 cups green cabbage roughly chopped
- 600 ml vegetable stock or chicken stock/broth
- salt & pepper to taste
Ingredients for Serving
- 2 cups brown rice
- 4 sprigs spring onion sliced
- 1 red chilli finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds toasted
- Preheat the oven to 160ºC fan forced. Meanwhile splash the olive oil into a large oven proof cast iron deep dish pan or casserole dish, heat oil to a high heat.
- Add the chicken and brown off on all sides. Set aside the chicken, and reduce the heat of your pan to medium.
- Add the onion, garlic, ginger, white pepper, paprika, red chilli, a pinch of salt and carrots to the same pan that the chicken was in. Stir until starting to soften.
- Add the apple cider vinegar, oyster sauce and tomato paste, stirring it through, and allow to simmer for 3-4 minutes. Add the cabbage, browned chicken and stock. Bring to a boil.
- Remove your casserole dish from the heat, cover with a lid or a layer of baking paper followed by foil. Cook in the oven for 1 hour.
- In the meantime, cook the rice as per your packet instructions.
- Serve chicken with brown rice, spring onion, extra chilli and toasted sesame seeds.
NOTE: To cook this recipe in your slow cooker, we recommend browning the chicken in a frying pan, then placing it in your slow cooker with the remaining ingredients and an extra 1 cup of water on low for 4 hours.