Strawberry Shortcake Crumble Bar
These bars from Noa's Healthy Eats are bursting with flavour & nutrients – and very low sugar and fat! NB: if you add the optional toppings, they'll change the nutrition amounts slightly!
Shortcake base and crumble topping
- 160 g almond meal
- 30 g tapioca flour
- 110 g rolled oats
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 3 tbs coconut oil
- 1/3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tbs almond milk (if needed – see instructions)
- 2 cups strawberries
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tbs cornstarch or use more tapioca flour
- chia seeds (optional)
Optional topping add-ons
- rolled oats (optional – 2 tbsp) image pictured with oats
- shredded coconut (optional – 2 tbsp)
- brown sugar (optional – 2 tbsp)
- nuts (optional) crushed nuts of your choosing
To make the shortcake crumble base
- Preheat the oven to 180•c. Mix dry ingredients well, add in wet ingredients massaging the oil in to get a dough that sticks together. (tip: if it's not sticky enough, add a tablespoon or so of unsweetened almond milk). .
- Reserve one heaped 1/2 cup of crumble mix for the topping and press remaining crumble into a square baking tin. Bake for 10 minutes.
To make the strawberry filling
- While the base is baking in the oven, it is time to make your strawberry filling. Heat your berries, maple syrup and lemon in a saucepan, then add in corn starch and stir well. Bring to a boil and let it simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring regularly to thicken, then take off the heat and let cool slightly. (tip: if the mixture gets too thick, add a little water). Then pour the strawberry filling over the shortcake base.
To make the crumble topping
- You now have the option to use your topping options! If you choose the optional toppings, add the coconut and brown sugar to the reserved 1/2 cup of crumble topping mix and sprinkle the mixture over the berry-covered base.
- Bake the crumble bar for an additional 10-15 minutes until golden.
- Take the crumble out the oven and let it cool down, then put it in the fridge for 10 minutes, until it has set.
- When the crumble has set, take it out of the fridge and slice into 12 squares and… it's time to enjoy!