Sweet Potato Nachos With Spicy Beef
So many delicious flavours and textures! The spicy beef is loaded with Mexican spices and the guacamole has jalapeno for some extra zing. We reckon this loaded comfort bowl has it going on.
- 2 sweet potatoes peeled & sliced lengthways
- 3 tbsp coconut oil melted
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 3 tbsp feta goat's cheese or sour cream.
- 10 cherry tomatoes halved
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander chopped
- 1 lime quartered
Spicy Mexican beef
- 1 tbsp olive or coconut oil
- ½ large red onion finely diced
- ½ red capsicum finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 500 g beef mince
- ½ tsp chilli
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp cumin, ground
- 1 tsp coriander, ground
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 400 g tin diced tomatoes
- 400 g tin black beans rinsed and drained
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 medium ripe avocadoes
- 1 garlic finely grated
- 2 tomatoes deseeded and diced
- 1 jalapeno or long red chili seeds removed, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- ½ tsp cumin, ground
- Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6.
- Peel and slice the sweet potato lengthways using a mandolin into 1.5 mm slices.
- Place sweet potato in a bowl. Drizzle with melted coconut oil and toss to coat. Spread sweet potato, in a single layer, on lined roasted trays. Bake for 10 minutes, then turn over and return to the oven for a further 8–10 minutes or until the edges are golden. Depending on the sweet potatoes, they may need longer in the oven. Season with salt and allow to cool completely to crisp up.
Spicy Mexican Beef
- To make the spicy Mexican beef, heat the oil in a large frying pan to a medium-high temperature. Add the onion, capsicum and garlic and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the beef and cook, stirring to break up any lumps, for 5 minutes until browned. Add the spices and tomato paste and cook for 1 minute, then mix in the tomatoes. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10–12 minutes. Add drained black beans and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- To make the jalapeno guacamole, scoop out the avocado flesh and place in a large bowl. Add all the remaining ingredients and, using the back of a fork, mash to combine. Taste and season.
- To assemble the nachos, divide the spicy beef between bowls, top with guacamole and sweet potato chips and scatter with feta, tomatoes, and coriander. Serve with lime wedges alongside.