Walnut No-Meat Balls
Sick of the same old vegetarian recipes for meatballs ? If you're tired of quinoa patties, beetroot burgers and the stock-standard mushroom mince, we've come up with something a little different! Get ready to be blown away by our vegetarian Walnut no-meat meatballs! Makes 15 balls, serves 4 to 5.
- 2 small potatoes white, grated, liquid drained
- 1 brown onion grated
- 1 cup almond meal
- 2 cup walnuts finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 bunch flat-leaf parsley finely diced
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 100 g feta cheese (or swap with tahini or vegan feta)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Olive oil for drizzling
- Preheat a fan-forced oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6 and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Add all ingredients to a large bowl and combine well with your hands.
- Squeeze the mixture firmly to draw out the liquids and help the mixture come together.
- Mold into 15 balls, flatten slightly and place on prepared tray.
- Drizzle with oil and place in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Turn the oven to grill and cook for a further 10 minutes, or until golden.
- Allow to cool before transferring to an airtight container to use across recipes.
These vegetarian meatballs will last in the fridge for up to 1 week, or frozen for up to 1 month.Vegan/dairy-free option: Omit the feta and replace with 2 tablespoons of tahini.Tasty tip: If you simply want to plate these up alongside a salad, cut 1 lemon in half and add face side down to the tray before cooking. When you are ready to plate up, squeeze over the lemon juice, to serve.