Alex's Vegan 'Snickers' Slice
- 12-15 large medjool dates
- 2/3 cup cashew nuts (natural)
- 1/3 cup macadamia nuts
- 1/3 cup almond (or peanut) butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup cacao powder
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- To prepare the nougat layer, soak the macadamia nuts and cashew in warm water for 15 minutes. Drain the soaking water and put the nuts and 5 or 6 of the dates in a food processor. Blend until the dates are completely broken down and incorporated into a fine consistency. Lay out 12 small cupcake liners or 6 bigger ones and evenly cover each base with the nougat. (I roll small discs and then place into the cup cake liner). Place in freezer while working on step two.
- To make the caramel, combine the almond butter with the remaining dates and process until combined. Add the vanilla, a dash of maple syrup and a pinch of salt and pulse until smooth. Roll into small discs and place evenly into the cupcakes on top of the nougat. Sprinkle some crushed macadamia and peanuts on top before adding the chocolate layer and press into the caramel. Place back in freezer while making chocolate.
- Put the coconut oil in the microwave for 30 seconds in a bowl. Remove and mix through the cacao powder, remaining maple syrup and a teaspoon of vanilla extract. Stir until combined then carefully pour the chocolate syrup evenly onto the cupcakes. Sprinkle any remaining crushed nuts over the top for a garnish.Place the cupcakes in an airtight container in the freezer until ready to serve. Enjoy!