Chai-Spiced Banana Bread
Did you know a traditional banana bread can contain 11 teaspoons of sugar per serve? Crazy, huh? So we've developed a delicious gluten-free banana bread, which contains sweetness only from whole bananas.. there's no refined sugar in this baby!
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1.5 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon all spice
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla powder or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup coconut oil melted
- 1/4 cup milk full-fat or nut milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 3 medium bananas very ripe
- 1 cup pecans
- 1 tablespoon buckwheat groats activated
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C / 350 degrees F / Gas Mark 4 and line a loaf tin with baking paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all the dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, coconut oil, apple cider vinegar and milk.
- Add in bananas and mash into the wet mixture with a fork. (Don’t mash into puree though, leave a few chunky banana pieces.)
- Add the wet mixture into the dry and fold through until just combined.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf tin.
- Sprinkle the pecans and activated buckwheat groats on top of the mixture.
- Then sprinkle with cinnamon and drizzle over coconut oil.
- Place loaf on the bottom shelf of the oven.
- Cook for 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- If you find your pecans are browning too quickly, place a piece of foil on top while the remainder of the loaf cooks.
- Once cooked through, allow loaf to cool slightly before removing from the tin and slicing into 12 slices.
- Serve with a slather of butter if you like.