Epic Hot Cross Buns
Think that eating healthy over Easter means giving up Hot Cross Buns? Think again! Try my epic Hot Cross Buns this Easter and I promise you won't be missing out!
- 7 g dry yeast
- 250 ml almond milk or whole milk
- 3 teaspoons maple syrup
- 2.5 tablespoons rice malt syrup
- 3 cups wholemeal spelt flour
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup currants
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1.5 tablespoon coconut oil melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 1 orange zested & juiced
- 2 tablespoon wholemeal spelt flour for the crosses
- Pour the almond milk to a small saucepan and warm over a low heat for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat.
- Whisk the yeast, milk and 2 teaspoons of maple syrup in a jug.
- Set aside for 10 minutes or until frothy.
- Combine the flour, raisins, currants, spices and salt in a large bowl.
- Make a well in the centre of this dry mix.
- Add the milk mixture.
- Next add the vanilla, rice malt syrup, orange zest, 1 tablespoon of oil and 1.5 tablespoons orange juice.
- Stir until combined.
- Transfer to a lightly floured board and knead until smooth and elastic, approximately 5 minutes.
- Grease a bowl with remaining oil and place dough into the bowl and cover with glad wrap. Set aside for 45 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Flour your hands and transfer dough back to the board, gently kneading for a minute.
- Shape into 12 buns and place onto prepared tray.
- Cover with glad wrap and set aside in a warm place for a further 40 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 160°C.
- Combine the remaining flour with water to form a smooth paste.
- Place into a zip lock bag and cut 1 corner from the bag to make a piping bag and pipe crosses onto the buns.
- Lightly brush with the additional maple syrup and bake for 30 minutes or until cooked through.