- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 1 brown onion finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1 carrots finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery finely chopped
- 4 cup mushrooms quartered
- 700 g lamb mince
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 700 g tomato passata
- 400 g crushed tomato
- 600 g ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 zucchini shaved into long slices and patted dry with paper towel
- 1/2 bunch fresh basil leaves picked
- 40 g parmesan cheese finely grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 200°C and brush a rectangular ovenproof dish with oil.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat and cook onion, garlic, carrot, celery and mushrooms until softened.
- Turn heat to high and add mince, thyme and chilli and cook through, breaking up clumps for five minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir through passata/tomato sauce and crushed tomatoes and simmer for 10 minutes.
- In a bowl, combine ricotta cheese, egg and nutmeg and mix together until smooth.
- Cover the base of the baking dish with a third of the zucchini slices, then meat sauce, ricotta mixture and basil leaves.
- Repeat layers two times. Add final layer of zucchini slices and top with sauce and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes and rest for 10 minutes before serving.
NB: All main course recipes use quantities from the ‘Female Healthy Weight Maintenance’ Stream of the 28 By Sam Wood program. So if you’re a male, feel free to bulk it up.
If you’re looking for sustainable weight loss, why not check out our 28 By Sam Wood Weight Loss Program?