Sam’s Snickery Caramel Bar
These sound and taste as decadent as they look.The catch? All healthy ingredients. Skip the servo snickers and enjoy this heavenly homemade version.
- 1/4 cup peanuts roasted roughly chopped
- 100 g 85% dark chocolate
Ingredients for Gooey Caramel Sauce
- 1/4 cup rice malt syrup
- 100 g butter unsalted
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 85 ml coconut cream
Ingredients for Base
- 175 ml coconut cream
- 1 tablespoon rice malt syrup
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
- To begin, prepare the gooey caramel sauce.
- Heat the rice malt syrup in a saucepan until bubbling vigorously.
- If you have a candy thermometer it should reach 140°If you don’t have a thermometer, cook the syrup for 13 minutes until syrup has reduced down.
- The mixture should be thick, drippy and coat the back of a spoon lightly.
- Add 100g of butter and a pinch of salt and stir until combined over medium heat.
- Remove from heat and slowly add the coconut cream, stirring until combined.
- Pour caramel into a bowl and sit in the freezer until thick for 2 hours.
To prepare the Base:
- Whilst the caramel is in the freezer, line a loaf tin with baking paper.
- Combine all ingredients for the base in a bowl until mixture comes together and forms a very soft dough. You may need to add more coconut flour to achieve the right consistency.
- Spoon mixture into lined loaf tin and freeze for 1-2 hours or until firm to the touch.
- Remove nougat from the freezer and cover with Gooey Caramel Sauce.
- Sprinkle with chopped peanuts and slice nougat base into 20 even pieces.
- Place back in the freezer for a further hour to set again.
To prepare the Chocolate Coating:
- In the meantime line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Melt the store-bought chocolate over a double boiler.
- Remove Snickery Bars from the freezer and dip each bar in the chocolate.
- Place onto the lined trays and put bars back in the freezer until ready to serve.