Sugar Free Nut-Ella Scroll
The processed store bought version is full of sugar, but we have a healthier alternative that will fool the biggest sceptics.
Nut- Ella Ingredients
- 1 cup hazelnuts
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon rice malt syrup
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/4 cup raw cacao powder
- 1 tablespoon vanilla powder
- 3 cups self-raising flour plus more for dusting
- 2 cups Greek yoghurt
- ½ cup Sugar-Free Nut-Ella
- ⅓ cup hazelnuts roughly chopped
To prepare the Nut-Ella
- Preheat oven to 180ºC/350ºF/Gas Mark 4.
- Bake the hazelnuts for 8–10 minutes, until browned.
- Rub most of the skins off as they can be a bit bitter (you don’t have to be too precise).
- Grind the nuts in a food processor until smooth.
- Add the remaining ingredients and process until well mixed.
- Add extra coconut milk if you want more of a ‘sauce’ consistency.
- Store in the fridge for several weeks.
To prepare the Scrolls
- Preheat oven to 180ºC/350ºF/Gas Mark 4 and grease and line a round 22cm baking tin.
- Add flour and yoghurt to a mixing bowl. Combine with a wooden spoon until mixture comes together.
- Turn out onto a floured bench and knead for a few minutes.
- Add a little more yoghurt if the mixture is too dry or a little extra flour if the mixture is too wet.
- Using a rolling pin, roll out dough into a rectangle until 0.5cm thick.
- Spread Sugar-Free Nut-Ella evenly over the dough using the back of a large spoon, reaching the edges.
- Sprinkle over hazelnuts.
- Roll the dough from the long side into a long log.
- Cut into 4cm pieces and place into the baking tin, squishing together.
- Place into the oven and bake for 20 minutes until golden.
- Remove from the oven and serve warm or cooled.
The processed version of this spread is a dire sugar explosion. This one, though, will fool even the most sceptical child.For a vegan option, replace Greek yoghurt for coconut yoghurt.