Vegetarian Spanish Baked Beans
This hearty breakfast (or brunch!) is a tasty meat free version of our flamenco beans recipe. Every serve has 12g of natural, vegetarian protein which will keep you feeling fuller for longer too. Serve in a bowl or spoon these tasty beans over some gluten-free toast for a hearty, healthy brunch!
- 1/4 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 red onion small
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 small yellow capsicum thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon paprika sweet
- 1 teaspoon oregano dried
- 100 gram sweet potato diced small
- 1/2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 200 gram cannellini beans drained & rinsed
- 125 grams passata or tomato puree
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup peas frozen
- 1 cup spinach
INGREDIENTS FOR SERVING
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoon fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 avocado mashed
- 1/4 lemon quartered
- Heat oil in a fry pan over moderate heat. Add chopped onion, garlic, capsicum and spices. Stir until starting to soften.
- Add sweet potato and bay leaf and mix through evenly until well coated.
- Stir in tomato paste for 1 minute, then add rinsed cannellini beans, tomato passata and 1/2 cup of water.
- Bring to a simmer and mix through the frozen peas and spinach. Simmer until the peas are fully cooked through.
- Spoon it up into two serving bowls, and garnish with with parsley leaves, mashed avocado and fresh lemon juice if desired.
P.S. If you have carnivore in the house, you might like to cook them this Spanish beans and spicy chorizo recipe instead – although we reckon everyone will love this vegetarian recipe just as it is!