For the butter chicken
- 4 tablespoons basmati rice
- 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 250 g chicken thigh fillets cubed
- 1/2 onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 red chilli small, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger minced
- 1 teaspoon coriander ground
- 1 1/3 teaspoon cumin ground
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon ground
- 2 cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup passata
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cups kale finely chopped
For the garnish
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander roughly chopped
- 1/2 lemon quartered
Prepare the rice
- Bring saucepan of water to boil and prepare according to packet instructions.
- Once rice is cooked to your liking, drain and serve alongside the butter chicken.
Prepare the chicken
- Heat oil in fry pan over moderate heat.
- Add chopped onion, garlic, chilli and ginger.
- Stir until starting to soften.
- Add spices, cloves and bay leaf to the frypan and stir for a minute.
- Add chicken and stir until starting to brown.
- Pour in tomato passata, coconut cream and tomato paste.
- Stir and allow to simmer with lid on for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, remove lid from the chicken, add kale, stir and continue to simmer uncovered for a further 15 minutes.
- Season the sauce to taste at this point.
- Simmer until rice is ready.
Garnish & serve
- Serve the rice and butter chicken in a bowl
- Top with fresh coriander and drizzle with fresh lemon juice if desired.
NB: All main course recipes use quantities from the ‘Female Healthy Weight Maintenance’ Stream of the 28 By Sam Wood program. So if you’re a male, feel free to bulk it up.
If you’re looking for sustainable weight loss, why not check out our 28 By Sam Wood Weight Loss Program?