Cake for breakfast? It’s not something we normally do but, when it’s Sam’s birthday, the 28 crew make an exception!
To surprise Sam on his birthday, our amazing crew always whip up a delicious cake from our healthy cake recipe vault. In 2018 Sam got a Chocolate Flourless Berry Cake with some delicious chocolate buttercream frosting on top. This year’s healthy cake is still under wraps at the time of writing this, but we’ll let you know when Sam does!
Have your healthy cake and eat it too? You betcha!
P.S. We’ve added a BONUS list of our favourite healthy cakes at the bottom of this post, you can serve at any special occasion!
SAM’S FLOURLESS CHOC BERRY BIRTHDAY CAKE
- coconut oil, butter or ghee for greasing.
- 100 g dark (85% cacao) chocolate, chopped into even-sized pieces.
- 1/2 cup coconut oil.
- 1/4 cup raw cacao powder.
- 3 eggs, whisked.
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon.
- pinch of sea salt.
- 1/2 cup rice malt syrup.
- 1 punnet fresh raspberries.
- Grease a 20cm spring-form tin generously. Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6.
- Melt coconut oil in the microwave. Pour oil over chocolate chunks in a separate bowl and stir until smooth and combined.
- Add cacao, cinnamon, salt, rice malt syrup and eggs to the chocolate/oil mixture and whisk until smooth batter forms. Gently stir through raspberries, reserving a few.
- Pour batter into greased pan and level out with the back of a spoon or spatula. Top with extra raspberries.
- Bake for 25 minutes until the centre looks just firm. Set aside to cool before removing from the pan.
CHOC BUTTERCREAM FROSTING
This buttery frosting is a delicious addition to any chocolate cake.
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, room temperature.
- 1/3 cup rice malt syrup.
- 1/3 cup raw cacao powder.
- 1 teaspoon vanilla powder or extract, optional.
- In a mixing bowl combine all ingredients and whisk until thoroughly combined and fluffy.
- When the cake is cooled, use a spatula to gently apply the frosting to the surface.
THE 28 CREW’S FAVOURITE HEALTHY BIRTHDAY CAKES
Here’s a collection of our favourite healthy cakes, perfect to serve at any special occasion. Most cakes are fructose-free and gluten-free but don’t worry, we didn’t compromise on taste with any of these party cakes!
Chocolate Cherry Ripe Cheesecake
Who doesn’t love a Cherry Ripe? This is the ultimate way to enjoy a healthy cheesecake, with maximum flavour and zero refined sugar.
Fructose Free Salted Caramel Macadamia Crunch Cake
We’ve created this over-the-top, showstopper cake filled with a creamy butter icing and topped with crunchy macadamias for very special occasions. Each serve contains just over 1 teaspoon of added sweetener per serve, but we’ve kept it low-fructose and gluten-free!
Berry Swirl Cheesecake
This is the perfect jaw-dropping cake to take along to any occasion to impress even the biggest sugar fan. It not only tastes decadently delicious but it looks pretty special too.
Dairy-Free Choc Caramel Peanut Butter Cheesecake
Caramel, peanut butter and… cake! Need we say more?
Fructose Free Bundt Cake
With a delicious pumpkin cream cheese icing and moist vanilla sponge, it packs a wallop of flavour. It still surprises us just how good sugar-free cakes can taste!
This would make a great Healthy Halloween party cake, just drizzle the icing over the top to make spooky little spiderwebs!
A NOTE ABOUT THE SUGAR CONTENT OF OUR CAKES
Our healthy cake recipes are gluten-free, fructose-free and don’t contain refined sugar. However, most cakes contain more rice malt syrup than we normally recommend (some cakes might have as much as a teaspoon of added sweetener per serve), so they should only be eaten on special occasions, like a birthday!
https://recipes.28bysamwood.com/recipe/salted-caramel-macadamia-crunch-cake/ Fructose Free Salted Caramel Macadamia Crunch Cake
https://recipes.28bysamwood.com/recipe/jack-o-lantern-bundt-cake/ Fructose Free Bundt Cake
https://recipes.28bysamwood.com/recipe/mango-passionfruit-cheesecake/ Healthy Mango Passionfruit Cheesecake
https://recipes.28bysamwood.com/recipe/choc-caramel-chunk-peanut-butter-cheesecake/ IQS Choc-Caramel Peanut Butter Cheesecake