When it comes to healthy eating and weight loss, planning and preparation are the keys to your success.
Setting aside time each week to plan healthy meals and focus on meal prepping can have a number of positive impacts on the week ahead, including:
- Improving you and your families’ health by having healthy options available in the freezer.
- Save not only time but also money as your grocery list will be specific to what you intend to eat and drink.
- Answering the burning question to the rest of your household as to what is for dinner tonight when they complain they are STARVING and just can’t wait!
- Reduce wastage often meals on the 28 program meal plan have leftovers which means that a meal for the next day is sorted.
Losing weight is all about making the right choices (most of the time), so being prepared with healthy options in advance makes it a lot easier to achieve.
Healthy, Fast Meal Prep Ideas
Now that we know the endless benefits of meal prep, take a look at a few ideas that will prepare you to tackle the week ahead and anything that comes your way.
1. Plan out your week ahead, including all meals and snacks and covering breakfast, lunch and dinner. Include room for days when you just can’t be bothered cooking. On those nights utilise leftovers or your freezer stock.
2. Doesn’t be afraid to get back to basics and cook for yourself and your family as your parents/grandparents would have. There is nothing wrong with a good quality meat or another protein source and veggies or salad for dinners. In fact, when you’re trying to lose weight but you’re strapped for time, keeping it simple is often best!
3. When you get home with the groceries, chop up all veggies and place in storage containers or zip lock bags so that they are ready to go. Whether it’s for snacks or for cooking during the week, this an awesome time-saving tool.
4. Choose which recipes, if made ahead, would make the biggest difference to your week. Spend time each weekend batch cooking those recipes and dedicate an ‘hour of power’ to whipping them up. Why not put your slow cooker to good use to cook a hearty stew to freeze with a side of brown rice or cauliflower rice, or perhaps cook a bolognese sauce packed full of vegetables. Another idea might be to cook a chicken and vegetable soup for the freezer. These will come in handy for those nights when you walk in the door after working, kids’ sports, the gym and you think ‘please someone cook for me!’
5. When you’re trying to lose weight, it’s often the smallest changes that lead to the biggest results. So, I want you to focus on making small, effective changes to help you meal prep.
6. Portion out nuts and other healthy snacks so that you can grab and go.
7. Bag up smoothie ingredients and place in the freezer for emergencies. When you’re rushed for time or just want a tasty smoothie, simply empty contents of the bag into the blender and blitz.
So there you have it, a few of my favourite ideas that will turn you into a meal prep master in no time!
Still looking for some easy meal prep recipes to whip up during your hour of power?
Take a look at this delicious Quinoa & Roast Vegetable Salad with Haloumi, this is a great one to take to work during the week or to dish out as a side for dinner.
This photo is from one of our 28ers, you can find her insta @busymum01